Thursday, July 16, 2009

The Church in My Mirror???

Standing in my bathroom staring in the mirror:
I can hear the saying...the local church is the hope of the world, and I believe that it should be. I believe that I should be. Father, I can't always match what I'm seeing in my mirror to that statement. I believe that you, Jesus are the hope of the world. I believe that the church (including me...) should be family of God...it should be me...the believer and my brothers and sisters. I am part of, what the bible calls, "the body of Christ". I am Your hands and feet, reaching out to a lost and dying world. Or am I? But then, that's really the question isn't it..."Am I?"

Remember your shepherd on the hillside....Moses? When he asked you who should he say sent him to the Hebrews, You said, "Tell them that "I Am" sent you." So if You are the "I Am", and I have to ask "I Am"...."Am I?"...Then some thing's wrong with this picture.

Being your church isn't about being perfect in every way. It's about You, God...perfectly loving me no matter who I am or what I've done. I am your child. (no matter my age) Children fall and get some bruises learning to walk. I should have expected that. Sorry Steve, nursing the scratches won't lead people to Christ. You don't have time to lick your wounds. There are those out there who don't know that they're your children yet. I have to tell them, show them, and love them. Brennen Manning said in his book, The Importance of Being Foolish - "The church must be Christ's love raised up to the poor."

I never been the best at it. But I'm trying...maybe if, tomorrow, I try again...I wonder what tomorrow could look like? So right now, in this moment and all other moments after it....(Galatians 5:6b) "The only thing that matters is faith expressing itself through love." I have a purpose! I have set out to see (in each knew moment) where this might find me. If I am really being your child...would I ever really need the word "missionary"?

No comments:

Post a Comment