Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Sand Castles


I wanted to continue the idea and thought about storms in our lives. I recently spent a week with the family at the beach. We spent most of our time on the beach building sand castles and riding waves. Steve and I had talked about a series I was writing called storms so this topic was fresh on my mind.
Cody, my 7 year ball of energy wanted to build a sand castle with a large hole in the center. We discussed or building plans and what this structure would look like. Once we decided on the structure then it was time to chose the location. This is the point when Cody and I started butting heads. I had more knowledge and experience in building castles on the beach, but that did not seems to influence Cody at all. I decided to let Cody have this battle.
So the construction began. When Cally or sweet 9 year saw us building she joined in with great joy. As we began to build, the plans grew larger and larger. Cally and Cody talked about how they would build a wall with the sand to hold back the water. We worked on the castle for at least two hours. This castle had tunnels,a wall surrounding it, and a hole that Cody felt good about hiding in. Two hours may not seem long but to a 9 year old and a 7 year old that was an all day job.
As we were building this thing I could not help but see myself in my two children. I know our father is here with us building families, careers, businesses, and so much more. I loved the time I spent with my kids building the castle. For me, it was not about the castle but about the time I spent with them in the process.
There was one huge design flaw. The castle was built in a location that when the tide came in, it would over take the castle. Cody and Cally did there best to try and stop the waves, but that was not enough. I knew this was going to happen from the time we made the first pile of sand. Was I wasting my time to help build something I knew would be destroyed? I would do it again tomorrow if I had the chance to spend with my kids.
You and I both know it is going to storm and the waves are coming in, so what are you going to do when the waves finally make it to your castle. I stood beside them and watched the waves piece by piece take the castle down. Should I have made them build in a better spot? What do your "sand castles" look like?
I want to leave you with A few verses:

24 "Everyone then who hears these words of mine and does them will be like a wise man who built his house on the rock. 25 And the rain fell, and the floods came, and the winds blew and beat on that house, but it did not fall, because it had been founded on the rock. 26 And everyone who hears these words of mine and does not do them will be like a foolish man who built his house on the sand. 27 And the rain fell, and the floods came, and the winds blew and beat against that house, and it fell, and great was the fall of it."

No comments:

Post a Comment