Monday, July 20, 2009

Clarifying the Madness...

In my last blog, I was asking myself..."Am I?"...under the guise of something being wrong with that picture....


My buddy pointed out to me that we're constantly asking that question. "Steve, why is that a bad thing?" Well, it's not. I don't always say what I mean clearly. (that's obvious) I am famous for the whole... "What's that look like?"...question. If we don't ask, how will we ever grow? This particular "Am I" question (...as asked in-The Church in My Mirror) was not one I ask myself in response to growth...it's in response to truth. If I am a child of God...(I don't mean how good or bad, or to what degree...) I mean, if I believe it at all. My level of maturity, spiritual or otherwise is debatable. But if I believe that I am saved...if I believe that God is who He says He is...if I believe that I am his son...and that makes me part of the church...and that nothing can remove me from the hand of God....then why do I so often treat Him like it's a pipe dream?


You see...if I Am...then why doesn't the world see me (the church) differently? Why don't I look like I am the child of someone named Jesus? Lots of guys mentioned in the bible had struggles. (Moses, Abraham, Sarah, Israel, Joseph, David, Solomon, Bathsheba, Ruth, Mary, Jerimiah, Mary of Magdellah, Noah, Job, Peter, Paul, Thomas and so many others...) All of these people had issues, flaws, defects, failures, sins, mistakes, mess-ups, doubts, you name it...

No matter what they questioned, they didn't question that He was God and that they were his people. But their lives and the lives of those around them, still changed the world. (Even ours) At times, those people (like us) acted like total contradictions of his love. Yet when they failed, they knew whom they had to go to for restoration. They knew that they needed to be on their faces before Him. No matter their faults, it was their relationship with God and their love because of it, that defined them....so should mine (...shouldn't it?). Maybe it's more than just me...If it's not, let me know and we can just tell 'em to stear clear of the short guy...

No comments:

Post a Comment