Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Floating or Swimming?

I was chatting with a friend the other day about life in general. The question came up, "Does it seem like some people just float through life with no problems?". We asked each other, "Are you floating?". I have been thinking about those two questions for the past two days.

I had the chance to spend some time with my small group this past Saturday on Lake Lanier. One of the small group members has a house boat and invited the group to come hang out for the evening. The boat is very nice I might add. At one point in the evening the boat was drifting in a cove, while we were floating on life jackets. One of the guys floating was trying to get to the boat, but every time he swam toward the boat the boat would drift the other way. This went on for about 15 min. with all of us laughing a going on about how he should swim harder.

When I look back at what an awesome time we had on the boat that day I can't get the picture of my friend swimming for the boat out of my head. You know i feel like sometime I am swimming but getting nowhere. It seems that sometimes the harder I swim the futher away from security and rest and refuge of the boat I get. It gets trying swimming for the boat. Some people make swimming to the boat look easy.

Finally the driver of the boat yelled to my friend to just hangout and float he would swing the boat around and come pick him up. You may be seating on the boat watching others swim or you may be the one swimming which ever it is Jesus says hang out and float I'll come pick you up.

I want you to do a little exercise for me. This may seems silly but it works. Take your index finger and point toward the sky. Rotate your finger clock wise in a circle. Start to bring your finger down still rotating clockwise. Once your finger has reached your stomach look at which way it is turning. Yeah freeky, try it again if you want. What changed? Just think everytime you think someone may have it easy just try the finger trick and remember that perspective is everything.

I want to leave you with a verse I have been fighting with while I swim. Phil. 4 11Not that I speak from want, for I have learned to be R)">(R)content in whatever circumstances I am.12I know how to get along with humble means, and I also know how to live in prosperity; in any and every circumstance I have learned the secret of being filled and going S)">(S)hungry, both of having abundance and T)">(T)suffering need.


Wake up you may be floating away from the boat and not know it.

2 comments:

  1. Hiya! Seven(ish) years ago you and shane taught a lesson on Phil. 4 after an insane day of hiking in New Hampshire. It stuck with me more than any other Bible lesson ever. In fact it pretty much shaped how I decided to approach adult life. So... thanks! Thought you'd like to know.

    (Also, btw great blog (both in concept and content) I'm adding you to the short list of links on mine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like always Greg you always take thing to the next level and make people to use there brain more often, for all the readers of this blog i was that friend that try to swim to the boat and i never had any success but i never panic for the simple reason that i was with friends (brothers) like Greg that make you feel that in there watch nothing is going to happen to you and I'm so glad that the Captain of my boat is my father in heaven and my friend Jesus Christ!! Greg thank you for been who you are "MY BROTHER" love you man.

    ReplyDelete