Friday, June 26, 2009

Toler-a-tience....

Greg posted a blog the other day, (floating or swimming) and as always, forces me to engage and not just absorb. Greg asked me to consider my perspective. Perspective got me thinking about something I had to face recently. I was talking with a friend and telling him to be patient with a mutual acquaintence. He stressfully said that up til now he'd been tolorating him. Then he asked me, "What does that mean?" I told him that it was what Jesus does with me. He sees in me more than I see in myself. He sees that I can change, grow, ask forgiveness, and allow him to change my heart. Patience is standing, pecking on my shoulder and waiting for me to realize that my Daddy's right there. It would seem that patience is definitely a love thing. I realized that I was givin some great lip service, but that wasn't what my heart looked like in that same situation. My problem (I believe) was perspective. I wasn't being patient at all. I was tolerating. Websters says those two words are the same...but maybe websters' wrong? Tolerating someone is what I do when I HAVE TO ENDURE....whether it's work, play, or whatever...it's when I grin and bare it. (but would light you on fire if I had a match....) When people are in the weeds...they act like there in the weeds. Well, what'd I expect? Ducks typically act like ducks. But, that's not a love that waits for them to see it. That's not seeing what a different person he might be if he knew Jesus. That's not giving them a chance....it's writing them off. One could say it's the act of my heart and mind seeing them as the enemy instead of a prisoner, and demanding an abortion. When it comes to you....is it patience or toleratience?

No comments:

Post a Comment